Along with visiting the Vatican, no vacation to Rome is complete without a visit to the Colosseum.
Colosseum tours are the best way to experience this ancient monument. You’ll learn about its history and how it was used by the Roman Empire. An expert guide will show you around and help you learn about this iconic building.
The Colosseum is one of the most iconic buildings in the world. Built over 2000 years ago, it was once the largest amphitheater in the Roman Empire. Today, it is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Italy. A visit to the Colosseum is a must-do for any first-time visitor to Rome. But with so many tour operators and guides to choose from, how can you be sure you’re getting the best Rome Colosseum tour possible? Here are a few tips:
First, make sure you book a tour that includes skip-the-line access. With such a high demand for tickets, even the shortest line can take up valuable time that could be better spent exploring the Colosseum itself.
Next, look for a tour that includes an actual guide who can help you learn about the Colosseum. This will be much more enriching than an audio guide.
Finally, choose a tour operator that offers small group sizes. This will allow you to get a more personalized experience and avoid feeling like just another number in a large group.
By following these simple tips, you can be sure that you’ll have an unforgettable experience at one of the world’s most iconic landmarks.
These are some of my favorite Roman Colosseum tours:
Don’t have time to read a bunch of reviews and blog posts? Here are some of our top picks for visiting Rome:
Our Favorite Hotels in Rome:
Our Favorite Tours in Rome
VIP Rome Colosseum Tour
The Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill are the most important ancient sites in the city, but visiting on your own can be overwhelming. With this Colosseum guided tour, save time with skip-the-line entry and take in the highlights of these three fascinating sites with a guide. Learn about the history and architecture of the Colosseum before moving on to the civic and religious buildings in the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill.
- Fast-track tickets allow for time to visit three ancient sites in one tour
- Visit with a guide to avoid getting overwhelmed by the vast sites
- Interesting historic insights for a more engaging visit
- A small-group tour for a relaxed pace and individual attention
Colosseum for Kids Tour
If you’re visiting Rome with kids or with teens, you may want to consider a family-friendly tour that is catered specifically to the under-18 crowd. The kids will most likely be more entertained and learn more.
Dig into history in a fun way on this private or small-group tour of the iconic Colosseum and Roman Forum with an entertaining guide who specializes in tours for families with children. This tour also offers skip-the-line access at the Colosseum, so you can avoid the chaos and long wait times. My own kids really loved this tour and our guide was so great with them!
- Private or small-group Colosseum and Roman Forum tour for families and children
- Visit two of the most important sights of ancient Rome with an entertaining and kid-oriented guide
- Enjoy skip-the-line access to the Colosseum to avoid long waits at the entrance Get lots of personalized attention from your tour guide
Gladiator’s Gate Tour
The first time you see the Colosseum should be special and on this tour, it is. With exclusive access, you’ll enter through the Gladiator’s Gate and walk directly onto the arena floor. Here, in the heart of the Colosseum, you’ll be removed from the crowds for the most impressive view of the stalls where Emperors and Ancient Roman spectators once cheered.
- Walk in the footsteps of gladiators as you enter the Colosseum through the ‘Gladiator’s Gate’
- Experience the ancient amphitheater from the arena floor
- Skip the line at the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill
- Hear the stories of blood, sand, spectacle, and mayhem from your passionate guide
Premium Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill
In a small group of 15 people or less (not 50 like other companies!) venture into the heart of an empire at the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill on this once-in-a-lifetime experience. Interact and follow along with a local expert guide, versed in all the guts and glory of this truly magnificent symbol of an ancient people and their astounding pursuits.
- Explore the Colosseum with a dedicated guide
- Immerse yourself in the stories of Ancient Rome at the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill
- View the final resting place of Julius Caesar
Colosseum Underground Tour
Step into one of the most exclusive parts of the Colosseum for the eye-opening tour most visitors only dream of. Your experience of Ancient Rome will be completed with a full tour of the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill where you will learn about the bustling empire that formed one of the founding pillars of western civilization. This special access underground colosseum tour is one of the most exclusive and in-demand Colosseum experiences on the market!
- Enjoy special access entry and a dedicated guide on your VIP tour
- Lose yourself in the lore of Ancient Rome, and the people who populated it
- Step back in time and tour the tunnels of the Colosseum Underground
- Visit the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill
Colosseum Night Tour
Step inside the Colosseum after it closes and enjoy it with only a handful of other people on this very special tour. Special access means you’ll have a chance to explore the Colosseum Underground, where men and beasts were kept before they took to the Colosseum floor. You’ll experience this vantage point too when you walk onto the arena floor to see the amphitheater lit up and looming above you.
- View the magnificent Teatro di Marcello
- Savor the Colosseum as the sun sets in Rome
- Explore the Colosseum Arena Floor and Underground
- Delight in stunning views of the Roman Forum from a special vantage point
Colosseum Tour Express
This Ultimate Colosseum Express Tour Express is a great tour if you only have a day or two in Rome and don’t want to spend an entire day visiting the Colosseum or if you’re on a budget, but don’t want to wait in the long entrance line.. At only an hour and a half, you’ll be able to skip the line, see the important sites here and still take it all in with an experienced guide.
Hopefully, this will help you choose the best Colosseum tour for your group, budget, and timeframe. Don’t leave Rome without seeing this stunning piece of history.